Read This Before You Buy
The Mattress Buying Guide for How to Shop and Buy a Mattress
Lack of good quality sleep can have a devastating effect on your mind, body, and soul. It’s no secret. Search the internet for “sleep & health.” According to the National Sleep Foundation (and countless other reports), lack of good quality sleep is unhealthy both physically and mentally.
If these apply to you, you’re in the small percentage of Americans!
- You fall asleep within 15-20 minutes of lying down to sleep.
- You regularly sleep a total of seven to nine hours in a 24-hour period.
- While in your bed, your sleep is continuous—you don’t have long periods of lying awake when you wish to be sleeping.
- You wake up feeling refreshed as if you’ve “filled the tank.”
- You feel alert and are able to be fully productive throughout the waking hours (note, it’s natural for people to feel a dip in alertness during waking hours, but with healthy sleep, alertness returns).
- Your partner or family members do not notice any disturbing or out of the ordinary behavior from you while you sleep, such as snoring, pauses in breathing, restlessness, or otherwise nighttime behaviors.
Shop for the RIGHT mattress!
- The right mattress is the one that feels right for you.
- Lay down on the mattress for at least 15 mins.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to take off and put back on.
- Choose the firmest mattress that’s still comfortable. You want a mattress to support your spine but still allow it to maintain its natural curve.
- Back Sleepers: Make sure the mattress meets the curve of your lower back.
- Side Sleepers: Shoulders and hips should remain pain and pressure free.
- Try switching positions. It should be relatively easy to adjust yourself.
- Aches, numbness or tingling mean you’re on a mattress that’s too soft.
Avoid these foolish mistakes!
- Don’t buy a mattress based on price alone.
- Don’t buy based on your familiarity with one brand name. There are many great mattress brands available.
- Don’t convince yourself that you like a type of mattress feel. What you consider as “medium firm” might feel very firm to someone else.
Whether or not you purchase with us, we want you to have the best, most restorative night’s sleep you can. And we’re happy to help you get it!